Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Iron sharpens iron

Sally,

I know you are busy and probably don't have a lot of time to read my nuggets. I will be brief. First of all, I thought you would enjoy seeing the undecorated Christmas tree from our outing to the farm (Home Depot) two nights ago. I think it is a wonderful tree.

Second, mom shared with me that one of your design teachers was excited about your magazine project. I have been thinking about some things that I can help you with over the Christmas break. 

I can help you get your LinkedIn account set up so you can reach out and professionally connect with people like Ms. Hinners, your design teachers, and Janie Singletary. You want to start building a large collection of industry specific resources on LinkedIn. You also want to join industry specific 'groups' on LinkedIn, where you will be able to quickly see the hot topics and discussions taking place in your field.

I think your idea of starting a 'design' oriented blog is fantastic. Your field is a 'visual' field and a blog offers a way for you to practice writing and photographing things that are specific to your interests. I can also help you build a Website where you can feature projects, like your magazine project. This will give you an efficient way to point people to your work and your way of thinking. I see these little 'micro-websites' all the time in the video industry, used by professional 'creative-types' to feature their work. I will start bookmarking the ones that I like the best and sharing them with you.

We need to block out two to three full days to get this done. The set-up is the hardest part. Once these tools are set up, using them is simple and not very time consuming.

As for your teacher who likes your project, be sure to 'hitch your wagon' to him or her and ask if they will be a mentor to you. Most people want to help others, so don't be shy about asking for help.

Proverbs 27:17: As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Love,

Dad