Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chi O rush speech

Proud of Sally for being selected to give the Senior Speech for Chi O Rush Week. Here is what she said:
Hi everyone! I have gotten the chance to talk to a bunch of you through out this week, but for those of you who I haven’t, my name is Sally Singletary and I’m a senior from Austin, Texas. 

Weirdly enough, it seems like it was yesterday I was standing where you are about to make this decision.  I remember how difficult it seemed at the time, but if I had had even a glimpse of how much fun I was going to have the decision would have been effortless.  I was reflecting and thinking about what to say today, it sort of hit me that even though it was impossible for me to realize it at the time, choosing Chi O was a decision that truly has determined my amazing college experience.  

I came into college so naive. True life: I whipped out my history flashcards at a social. And I can promise you there is no way I would have stood up here and given a speech in front of all of you. While that’s really embarrassing, it literally is a perfect example of how this sorority and the friends I have made have helped me grow and become who I am. 

The neat thing about Chi O is that I cannot give the credit for my experience to one defined group of people.  I know a lot of houses say that after rush is over everyone stays friends, but I am really proud to say that that’s actually the case here.  Some of my greatest friends are not only the girls in my pledge class, but also the sophomores, juniors, and the girls who recently graduated and took us under our wings when we were freshman.  I can’t tell you how many texts I have received this week from girls who have graduated asking about rush or just sending words of encouragement during this week.  Although it’s a small gesture, it says a lot that they still care enough to do that. I think I speak for everyone when I say that what you see with is what you get. I have realized my favorite thing about Chi O is that WE HAVE NO BOUNDARIES- whether they be age, interest, state- we cross all boundaries and it makes us full versions of ourselves.  We are all different and there is no pressure to fit into a certain mold or expectation.  We’re simply a group of people who care a lot about each other and not only accept each others' differences, but celebrate them.  So whether you are a freshman walking around a social memorizing American history or a senior about to graduate and take on the world, you feel an unbelievable amount of support and love.

It’s inevitable that you are going to change during these next four or five years, that is what it is meant for, and I honestly wish for every single one of you that you experience this change surrounded by people who are going to challenge you, laugh with you, cry with you, and then celebrate really hard with you when its all over. I guarantee you will have this experience if you go Chi O!