Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Happy Birthday and welcome to the family Trey Barfield!

Happy Birthday, Trey. I asked everyone to add a little marriage wisdom as part of your first official 'One for Trey' on this very special birthday weekend. (Apologies, I missed by a day getting this out!)

Sally: Happy Birthday Trey! We are all so excited to officially have you as a part of the family. My best marriage advice and wish for you, and Lucy is that you take on the adventures and opportunities life throws at you. If you feel charged to take on a new job or city, do it together. Together, you are unstoppable, and anything is possible! 

Taylor: Trey, welcome to our family. I have found that we get to make certain choices in life and marriage is the best of them. I hope you remember every day that you actively made this choice, especially when marriage gets hard. Focus on the joyful parts and forgive the hard parts. We’re happy for you and always here for you.

Emily: I’m so happy to have Trey as our new brother-in-law! Trey constantly checks in with Lucy and always wants her to be happy. I know Lucy thinks of Trey as such a comfort and best friend. My marriage advice is to continue to tackle every day together as a team, no matter what comes your way. It’s a gift to have your favorite partner in it with you!

Kyle: Happy Birthday and wedding weekend. In the theme of wedding advice for your “one for,” I will rip off/ quote Admiral McRaven from his book and tell you to do the little things. Big gestures are great, and they happen, but remember to help clean up, make breakfast in bed, surprise her with dinner, and grab some flowers on the way home. All these little things make everyday life so much better. You may even enjoy these little tasks as I do! Enjoy the little moments all the same. Running errands together, sitting at home and hanging out together, and cleaning up around the house together. All these things you may not look forward to each day like you look forward to a big trip, but they become the little joys of everyday life in marriage.

Lucy: Happy birthday, Trey! I’m so excited to be your wife tomorrow! You are joyful and fun, a great listener, always steady, and my very best friend! I don’t have much marriage advice because I’ve never been married before…but I look forward to how we will learn and grow together on this exciting, lifelong adventure. And when the going gets tough (in the wise words of Kyle C), we will “just try again the next day." I’m so hopeful for our marriage and the family we will start together!! Happy 24th birthday, and thanks for sharing your birthday weekend with me ;)

Cathy: I will treasure the three weeks I spent with Trey and Lucy before their wedding. My favorite memory was watching Trey dance Lucy around the house when she was on the verge of a potential meltdown. My marriage advice is to keep dancing. Through good times and bad, just dance. It can make stress disappear and good times even better. Happy birthday, Trey. Welcome to the family! I hope I get invited back one day! 

gPa: Trey, happy 24th. I am so proud of you and honored to be your father-in-law very soon. Thanks for coming all the way to London last summer to ask for Lucy's hand in marriage. That meant the world to both Cathy and me. My marriage guidance to you is to just keep being the person you are! You have such a beautiful way of enjoying life while striving to learn and grow. You also understand the importance of giving to others and being a true friend. I know these qualities will help build a super strong marriage and family.