Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Imperfect Peter and The Good News

Keeping with my theme from yesterday, I spent a few minutes this morning reading some scripture and reflecting on Advent. Nothing too elaborate really, just a few minutes to reflect and think. The scripture I read was about Peter denying that he knew Jesus. You will remember that he denied knowing Jesus three times. And you will also remember that Jesus had predicted that he would do so 'before the rooster crows'.

Luke 22: 57 But Peter denied it. “Woman,” he said, “I don’t even know him!"

In Mark Robert's reflection on this scripture, he has this to say:
For me, an even more significant bit of good news comes from the fact that Peter ended up playing such a prominent role in the church. Jesus did not reject Peter although Peter rejected Jesus. Jesus did not “fire” Peter from his role as a leading apostle. Jesus did not expect perfection, or anything close to it. Why is this good news for me? Because it means that I can be useful in Jesus’ mission today in spite of shortcomings and outright failings. It means that I can be forgiven when I fail.
Stay whole,

Dad