Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cathy's Remarks and Prayer

At Baccalaureate - Mom and Daughter
Cathy's loving words to Emily before Sunday's luncheon:

"Thank you so much for being with us today to celebrate Emily's graduation. I want to make a few opening remarks and then read a blessing I prepared. After the blessing, please get a plate from the bar and go through the buffet line. You will find your names on a place setting on the tables out side.

I want to thank my sister Susan and her partner Dana for preparing this wonderful meal. We are having cedar plank salmon and dill sauce, tarragon chicken, roasted asparagus, cheddar and chive drop biscuits.

Emily, this is a luncheon I wanted to have for you to show you how much I love you and how proud I am of you. Each of the women here today are very special and I am honored that they would join us for this occasion. We have special family members here, like Aunt Dot, Kim, Kathy, Stacy, Kristin, Ashley, Susan and Dana. Emily, you are a product of two large and wonderful families and I hope you will always remember how family is so important in all that you do.

We have special neighbors here like Mary and Janet. We have your dear friends Meg and her mom Mary. We have GiGi, who gave us Sam, who has been such a delight to have around this year. He is such a wonderful young man. We have Ann Slack, Patty and McCalah Steinwedell, Cheryl Savage and Pam Browning . . . all remarkable women and dear friends.

Emily, one thing all of these women have in common is that they are strong and smart women. They are dear to me and I hope you will grow up to have many of the same wonderful characteristics that these ladies have. You are certainly well on your way. Emily, there are so many things that I admire about you and so many ways that I am proud of you. I want to thank you for being such a wonderful daughter, sister, and friend. I have complete confidence and faith that your life after high school is going to be amazing and fulfilling. I want to especially thank you for living your life in a very age-appropriate manner. You have never tried to get ahead of yourself and you have always been comfortable in your skin, whether on the soccer field, the golf course, at a party with friends, with your boyfriend, or in your room making a dress.

Before I say the blessing, I want to also say how proud I am of your sisters. Sally, thank you for setting such a good example for Emily as the older sister and Lucy, thank you for helping us keep everything in perspective by being such a fun-loving and happy middle-schooler. I can't imagine what our life would be like without each of you.

Let us pray . . .

Dear God,

Thank you for this special day and meal to gather as family and friends and celebrate Emily. Thank you for the joy of parenting Emily. Thank you for the good times we have shared along the way. Thank you for the challenging times and the lessons that we have learned. Bless this meal and the hands that prepared it. Bless the Class of 2012 and especially our children in that class: Emily, Meg, Trey, Rob, Kristen and Stacy.

In Christ name we pray,


Amen"