Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blue Bottle Coffee on Women Power Wednesday

Great logo - great coffee
Sally,

I had my morning cup of coffee on the San Francisco Bay at a place called Blue Bottle Coffee. I noticed the place yesterday and especially noted that there was a long line of people in the mid afternoon waiting for coffee, even though there was a Starbuck's and a Pete's Coffee House within spitting distance of Blue Bottle. It made me wonder what was so special about this place.

At 7 a.m. this morning, the line was not quite as long. I ordered my usual cup of black coffee, and was told it would take three minutes to brew. It was very good coffee. When I read more about the business, I thought about your coffee story this summer and the 'pumpkin' flavor you brewed in your offices.

It is interesting to note the contrarian approach to the business - see example below. The question I have for you is this. How can you look at things that are popular and successful (i.e. Starbuck's) and take a contrarian (opposite) view and create success in your career?

Be different,

Dad

319 years later, in Oakland, California, a slightly disaffected freelance musician and coffee lunatic, weary of the grande eggnog latte and the double skim pumpkin-pie macchiato decides to open a roaster for people who are clamoring for the actual taste of freshly roasted coffee.