Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nuggets for Sally's UGA Graduation

“Thank you Lord for the things my parents taught me that are working well in my life. I am grateful for these things. And for the things I have learned (from my parents or from others) that are not working in my life, I take full responsibility.”

Sally,

As mentioned previously, I want to write to you during this ‘graduation season’ about a number of topics, some of which I feel I know something about and some of which I am less knowledgeable or skilled in. I want this series of Nuggets to perhaps encourage you to think about these topics, and maybe to also write or dialog about some things in your journal or with others. 


I think they are important topics to think about and to have a certain sense of awareness about as you enter into the next phase of life and ongoing. I hope you will consider these short essays a gift to you, and I hope Emily and Lucy might also read and think about these things as they continue to grow. Ultimately you will want to create your own way of walking in the world, and it does not have to be the same way I do.

There are five overriding themes in these short essays. As I have gotten older, I have decided that these five things should guide me in everything I do. Here they are, my guiding five, by which I strive:

  • Everybody has his or her own path.
  • Life should be good, fun, and easy.
  • This, too, shall pass.
  • Wear a smile, and be a friend.
  • Stay whole.
I will have a tiny bit to say about each of my guiding five in the days ahead. But remember, these are my five things, and they don’t have to be yours (note #1 - everybody has their own path.) I am repeating myself, but it is important to me that you know that this is a gift intended to get you thinking about life, life transitions, dreams, and opportunities. It is not meant to be preachy or exact in nature. It is far more important that you form your own way of approaching life than trying to emulate my way or anyone else for that matter.

After touching on each of my guiding five, most of which you have heard me talk about before, I will strive to write about ten other topics, broken into two groups of five. (You know I like things that come in fives.) The first group represents five topics that I feel I have some level of understanding or self-mastery. The second group represents areas or subjects in which I hope to learn more - opportunities for growth. Remember the two questions we learned as a family years ago? First, ask, what did I do well? Then ask, what could I have done better? You might think of these two sets of topics as my attempt to answer those two questions.

First five: Some sense of mastery or understanding (What did I do well?)

  • On love, marriage, and family
  • On exercise and health
  • On happiness, contentment, change, and loss
  • On spirituality, religion, prayer, and meditation
  • On adventure, spontaneity, and intuition
Second five: Opportunities to learn and grow (What could I have done better?)
  • On money, stuff, and things
  • On fear and anxiety
  • On addiction and rituals
  • On business and partnerships
  • On music, art, and dance
In closing this introductory post, let me say that you are truly a gift to your mom and me. And writing to you over the next few weeks is a special thing. How wonderful and amazing that I have a daughter who has been such a joy to raise and who has set such a great example for her sisters and her friends! So thank you for being the person you have become, and may God continue to bless you in all you do.

Love,

Dad