Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

WASBAF!

It is Stay Whole Tuesday, but today we celebrate number four on my list . . .

Here they are, my guiding five, by which I strive:


And what a great day to celebrate Aunt Dianne's now infamous mantra, Wear a smile, be a friend, because today Lucy gets her braces off! We shortened this to WASBAF many years ago, which is often said when dropping off for school, followed by the reply FABSAW, which of course is WASBAF backwards. 


I think we all know people who just smile a lot (in a genuine way) and I think those people make us feel good. We have all heard that it takes far fewer muscles to smile then it does to frown or pout. For me, a great example of this was when I was playing basketball in high school and we would have to run 'suicides' at the end of practice. I remember some people running with a look of pain and anguish on their face. And I remember others who went through the drills with a smile, even though everyone was hurting on the inside. Since I was always one of the slowest runners, maybe I had more time to notice these things!

And then there is the 'be a friend' part of WASBAF. Everybody needs a friend and learning to be a good friend is one of the most important skills you can master. Think about how it makes you feel when true friends greet you with enthusiasm and a smile.

So always try to wear a smile and be a friend!