Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Stay Whole Tuesday: Be a thriver, not a survivor

Hey nugs,

Yesterday we celebrated Jim Herndon: Make it a Great Monday: Remembering Jim Herndon

Today, I am reminded of Jim again when reading this incredible story Uncle Ricky shared from The Washington Post: My neighbor lived to be 109. This is what I learned from him.

This opener will grab you and make you want to learn more about Dr. Charlie White:

"My new neighbor was washing a car. In my memory (this detail is a matter of some disagreement around the neighborhood), it was a shiny new Chrysler PT Cruiser, the color of grape soda pop. It belonged to my neighbor’s girlfriend, and I couldn’t help noting that the vehicle in question was parked in the same spot where she had left it the night before. I deduced that a Saturday night date with the glamorous driver had developed into the sort of sleepover that makes a man feel like being especially nice the next morning. 
My neighbor was bare-chested, dressed only in a pair of old swim trunks. With a garden hose in one hand and a soapy sponge in the other, he flexed his muscular chest with each splash and swirl, his wavy hair flopping rakishly over one eye. 
This was Dr. Charlie White. Age 102."

For more on Stoicism, my UNC bud, Dr. Jack King shares that we need to read A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine. 

Check it out if the spirit moves you.

Love,

Dad