Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Feeling thankful and blessed

Hey Sally,

It is a special Holiday Weekend edition of 'Nuggets' as I feel like sharing a few thoughts this morning for you, and to your sisters, and of course your amazing mom. I am now 2.5 weeks into my new career with Autodesk, and I think things are going well. I am really enjoying learning the Media and Entertainment world, as well as the people on my team. I will be in town all next week, continuing to study the market and the product and then on the road to Las Vegas for a week and New York City after that, to attend a sales meeting and a conference on video editing respectively.

I am glad you made it to Ole Miss safely and I trust you are being careful and safe this weekend. Please be especially smart on the long trip back to Athens, and keep us updated on your time frames. Are you going home on Sunday or Monday? Please time your travels so that it is all during daylight hours.

I found this interesting blog post titled: Even Artists Have to Figure Out a Way to Make a Living. I am so proud of Emily and you for pursuing your passions (fashion and design) and also proud that both of you are looking for 'practical' ways to use your academic pursuits in the real world. It reminds me of Daniel Pink's book, A Whole New Mind, which is subtitled: Why Right Brainers will Rule the World!

I want to share one other thing with you today. As you know, we are still not where we need to be financially because of the lag time that occurs in the payroll cycles when you start a new job in commission sales. (I won't start receiving my full paychecks until the end of October.) I asked Uncle Ricky to help us out with your Chi O room and board, and for that I am very grateful. He is also going to help with Emily's new golf clubs when they arrive. This is important assistance, until my paychecks kick in and (hopefully) allowing us to refinance our equity line on the house. We will pay him back soon, but I just want you to know what a special friend and blessing he is to our family!

I love you,

Dad