Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Nugget from son-in-law 'T'! - Celebrating his Granddaddy: Architect, Jimmy Chapman



Dear Lucy, 

Hope your time at Texas A&M is off to a fast start – and you can take a spare minute to read a quick note. Your dad asked me to write a “guest nugget” for him. What an honor! 

So I thought I would honor someone else in turn. Let me tell you about my Granddad Jimmy. Jimmy is my friend, mentor, workout buddy, fishing partner, and an all-American. As the architect on some amazing golf course clubhouses (Oakmont, Oak Hill, Southern Hills, and TPC Sawgrass among them) you’d think he would’ve tired from working so hard. But each piece of new “work” he picks up makes him smile as big as the first, and he is still working 10 hour days at age 80.

He recently took up riding in Uber as opposed to driving (not entirely by choice) and he knows how to work an iPhone with the best of us. He would much rather hug than shake your hand. There is nothing more exciting to him than the feel of a fish tugging on his line out in the middle of the Atlantic. Except maybe when he sees me three mornings a week at the gym!

If I could give you some advice, it would be to love everything and everyone in your life the way he does – and to find a career that will make you want to keep doing it well past 80!

Gig'em Lucy,

Taylor

P.S. See Chapman Design Studio work here.