Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Whole Person Goal Setting Process



Lucy,

Yesterday, we took a look at Brian Tracy's Goal Setting Exercise where you write down ten goals on a piece of paper and then select the one goal that could make the most positive impact on your life:
  • Decide exactly what you want in one area of your life, the one goal that could have the most positive impact on your life.
  • Write it down, making it personal, positive, and in the present tense, as if it were already a reality.
  • Make a plan to achieve this one goal, and then do something every day that moves you closer to it.
Today, I promised to share my goal setting process and I want to also touch on the difference in goals and rituals. I know you are familiar with Stephen Covey's Whole Person Paradigm and my favorite Covey quote. I memorized that sentence years ago and often write it at the top of my to do list. Or sometimes, I simply write: 'talents + passions + need + conscience = VOICE'. I am also sure you recognize the diagram above from many a New Year's Day, right?

So my process works like this. Get a piece of paper, or a journal, and draw four interlocking circles. I use a cup. Label each circle as indicated above. I like to write the words you see above in each circle. Sometimes I lightly shade the Conscience circle, to show the significance of a well-grounded spiritual life. Then, on the outside of the circles write short phrases or words that represent goals or rituals you feel are important in each area. Sometimes, as a reminder, I will also write these statements to the outside of each circle.
  • For the body - Assume you have had a heart attack, now live accordingly.
  • For the mind - Assume the half-life of your profession is two years, now prepare accordingly.
  • For the heart - Assume everything you say about another, they can overhear, now speak accordingly.
  • For the spirit - Assume you have a one-on-one visit with your maker every quarter, now live accordingly.
The next step is to look at everything you have written down, differentiate between goals and the rituals that support your goals, and transfer those to another piece of paper. On that second page, I write down a few goals in each area that I want to work on over the next month or several months. I write those personal, positive and in the present tense, as if it has already happened. I also write down the rituals or positive daily habits I try to do in order to  support my goals.


The last, and easiest step, is simply to read and reflect on what you wrote every day. I believe this is best done in your own hand-writing, and not typed. There is a lot of evidence that using pen and paper is a more effective way to learn, grow and reflect, versus the typed word.

Sometime soon, I will share more about the difference in a goal and a ritual and the importance of building daily habits that fuel your goals.

Love,

Dad