Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Colloquial Thursday - What does the world need - 10.4

"I will tap my talents and fuel my passions, in a way that rises out of a great need in the world . . ."


Once you know where your talents lie, and once you figure out what you are most passionate about, the next part of my favorite sentence from Steven Covey ask the question, what does the world need? I once learned these four questions from a career counselor, when taking a short course in Dallas that was designed to help people find their path in life:
  • What does the world need?
  • Do I have the skill to meet the need?
  • Would I value doing that?
  • Can I make a living doing that?
There are so many interesting ways to look at Covey's model on this idea that in order to move from effectiveness to greatness, we need to find our unique voice. He calls it living in your sweet spot, when your talents, passions, needs, and conscience all line up. You will know when you are there - but trust me when I tell you that there will be plenty of times in your life when you are no where close. That is part of the process.