Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Staying whole - a story continued

Hey Sally,

You may remember I recently posted a story about my first Valentines with your mom. There was a picture of a card that I gave to her 25 Valentines ago.

I ended the post with this . . .
Shortly after that, she came to visit me in California and we went on a trip up the Pacific Coast. We had a picnic in a field near Mendocino, CA and I gave her a very special birthday present in a brown envelope. I have never told my children about that birthday present . . . stay tuned . . . stay whole.
In the brown envelope was a letter that I wrote and read to your mom on the picnic. It starts like this:
March 29, 2040. The early morning sun sparkles into the Pacific Ocean surf. A calm steady breeze brings life to wind chimes dangling from a beach front balcony. A seagull swoops down as if to peer into the room . . .
Page: Good morning sweetie and Happy Birthday. You look beautiful. How does it feel to be 80 years old?
Cathy: I feel great!
Page: You look great. Get dressed. I've got a surprise for you.
The dialog goes on for many pages. After I read it to her that day, we put it away and agreed that we would not read it again until March 29, 2040. Now a lot happened in our relationship between that day and when we eventually got married. I want to discuss one particular element of our 'courtship' a bit more over the next few days, as I think you will really relate to it.

Stay tuned . . . stay whole,

Dad