Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Dear Harvey: A nice gesture from a top-notch young man, Guy Liljenwall

Hanging with Harvey on the practice tee.

Dear Harvey,

It has simply been too long. I have many golf stories for you, including a magical summer of 2023 after I last wrote from Cornwall. Dear Harvey: Chasing Scratch (in Cornwall) 🏌️‍♂️⚓️⛳️⛵️☀️ - June 1, 2023.

I will be back in touch about the golf trip of all golf trips to Ireland with Uncle Charlie McDowell and his friends (in July) and an equally magical trip to St. Andrews (in August) to visit Ginny and Steve Booton and take on The Old Course. Plus, several other memorable loops around the London area, including Walton Heath Golf Club, which hosted the 2023 Women's Open Championship, a return to Swinley Forest Golf Club, and another crack at the spectacular Woking Golf Club. It would be hard to find three better heathland courses, but that will not stop me from trying! I am absolutely in love with golf in England. My American mates need to know England is every bit as magical and special when it comes to golf courses as the more popular Ireland or Scotland trips.

Do you remember when we lost Eric Liljenwall suddenly and at way too young of an age? Shortly after his death, I spent quality time with Eric's youngest son, Guy, shuttling him to junior golf tournaments and caddying for him. We were a good match, as Emily had left for her University golf career in Savannah, and Guy needed a caddy. I was the man for the job, though far from the excellent player his father was. 

I heard from Guy this afternoon via text message. It warmed my heart to know he saved this note and took the time to share it back with me. Guy is on his way to a successful career in commercial real estate after graduating from the University of Arkansas.

"Hey Mr. Singletary, this is Guy Liljenwall. I had found an old letter you have given me, when we used to play in tournaments together. Started reminiscing about those golf tournaments. I hope you and your family are well!"



And Guy later sent this, which Emily will love:

Shout out to dear friend @Andres Gonzales, who taught me the simple putting drills using a six-inch ruler as an alignment aid. 

I am in a sales meeting this week in Sitges, Spain. Check out my view this morning from my room. (The rest of the day was all training in a crowded conference room, but at least I had the morning view.) 

And then Guy's text messages made my day!


A lot to learn in Spain, but these lights are not the same as the Sitges sunshine above!

Take good care, Harvey, and tell Eric hello.

gPage

The 'Guy' in the middle with the first-place flag must have had a great caddy!


Other 'golfy' scribblings:
"Millions of people were charmed by the homespun golf advice dispensed in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, a sports classic that became the best-selling sports book of all time. Yet, beyond the Texas golf courses where Penick happily toiled for the better part of eight decades, few people knew the self-made golf pro who coaxed the best out of countless greats -- Tom Kite, Ben Crenshaw, Betsy Rawls, Mickey Wright -- all champions who considered Penick their coach and lifelong friend." - Kevin Robbins, author of Harvey Penick: The Life and Wisdom of the Man Who Wrote the Book on Golf.