Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Emily's WPW Guest Post - Celebrating Judy


Hi Nugget Subscribers,

It's (WPW) Woman Power Wednesday and I want to spotlight one of my favorite hardworking ladies of all time, Judy!

The current state of NYC is not great for Judy and Michael's business. They need to be in their factory to make products and they need to make products to make money. Judy is a very determined worker and I am certain if the building had not locked them out, they would still be there working!

A little background on Judy and Michael. They married young and had a son. Michael decided he was going to risk everything and travel to America when their son was six years old. Michael worked hard in NYC and became a US citizen before bringing Judy and their son over. This was two years that they were apart! Michael could not travel back to China to visit during this time or he would not become a citizen. Finally, it was time for Judy to move with her son. Judy always makes it very clear that she did not want to leave her family but would say to me, "what could I do?"

Side story, when I told Judy that Kyle got a job in Austin and I was moving home, she said, "This hurts my heart but what can I do? You have to go with the man." Although, she also pointed out that I could wait two years like she did and that Kyle and I would be okay apart for a while! While this may make my female readers cringe a little, you have to remember this is all she knows.


Today, their son is a successful lawyer in NYC. He went to a great school and is married with a baby of his own! He takes care of his parents when they need it but they never let him give too much. I think their baby looks just like Michael!

Judy, who has worked long hours every day as a pattern-maker, is powering through quarantine by gardening! She reports they are "living the life" and are very happy to have some time off. Of course, they wish this was a chosen retirement situation, but I am glad she has found some peace in these crazy times. I know she is eager to get back to work but maybe this will allow them to see some more days off in their future!

Love to all,

Emily