Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The movie 'Just Mercy' and Bryan Stevenson (Stay Whole Tuesday)

Uncle Charlie McDowell (middle) with "two of my heroes": Bryan Stevenson and Mike Purzycki
Last night I enjoyed getting this text from Lucy:
”Everyone has to see the movie Just Mercy” It is about an attorney named Bryan Stevenson. After graduating from Harvard, Bryan Stevenson heads to Alabama to defend those wrongly condemned or those not afforded proper representation. One of his first cases is that of Walter McMillian, who is sentenced to die in 1987 for the murder of an 18-year-old girl, despite evidence proving his innocence. In the years that follow, Stevenson encounters racism and legal and political maneuverings as he tirelessly fights for McMillian's life.
Lucy went on to say, "It is maybe the best movie I’ve ever seen and very enlightening to the corruption of our justice system. I am enjoying discussing the movie with my friends."

Coincidently, I had just exchanged something with Uncle Charlie related to Bryan Stevenson. I want to share his comments here:
If you don’t know about Bryan Stevenson, you should see the movie that just came out about his life, “Just Mercy” or read the book “Just Mercy”. I first heard Bryan Stevenson speak in 2015 at an annual conference of Purpose Built Communities which I attended after first visiting the initial Purpose Built neighborhood next to the historic East Lake Golf Course in Atlanta. The second time I heard him speak was at an annual dinner of the Black Lawyers Association in Wilmington. (Bryan is from downstate Delaware.) I heard him for a third time at last year’s Purpose Built Conference. He is the most compelling speaker I have ever heard. He is the only person I have ever asked to have my picture taken with. I will send you the picture from the Black Lawyers event. Also with my good friend and Wilmington Mayor, Mike Purzycki – two of my heroes.

Footnote: McDowell Honored for Community Service at Annual Gridiron Dinner