Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Happy 60th Birthday Cathy / Mama!

Page:

1. The proof-of-the-pudding is in how amazing are her daughters. I see bits and bits and bits of Cathy in Sally, Emily and Lucy. Here’s what I mean from A to Z:

Abundantly happy
Beautiful on the outside and the inside
Courageous and brave
Diligence in all they do
Equal parts smart and humble
Fun!
Gracious
Hilarious at times
Incredible common-sense
Just and fair to others
Kind (see just and fair)
Little (not fat)
Magic is real
Not afraid
Omnipotent (def: having unlimited power; able to do anything)
Polite and polished
Queen of England is coming to dinner
Reassuring of others
Sassy!
Totally willing to 'give it a go'
Universal in thought and action (world-view)
Vivacious (def: attractively lively and animated)
Wow! factor
Xtra energy, fortitude, and stick-to-it-ness
Ya’ll come on over for dinner (all ya’ll!)
Zippity doo dah!

2. It is one thing to have these 26 characteristics and entirely another to teach three daughters the same. This is the great gift Cathy has given us all and I am eternally blessed to have witnessed it happen. Happy 60th to the love of my life. Let’s keep it going!

Sally:
1. I love how Mom always encourages me to be the best I can be. She listens intensively and gives the best advice for each situation we confront in life. She doesn’t judge or respond too critically but takes time to understand and offer genuine feedback. She knows when things are deserving of time and energy, and when they are not worth worrying about. I look to her for everything from the simplest things like how to cook a chicken breast, to the harder things like how to be a good wife. I am so lucky to have a mom that takes the time and effort to guide me and To be my role model even when I’m 27.
2. I love how mom has contagious energy and is so fun to be around. She loves to laugh and brings joy to every gathering Or occasion. I know this quarantine hasn’t been the birthday we had all hoped for but she still has a positive attitude and is willing to make the best out of any situation. I hope one day I can provide the same positive example and selflessness to my family.

Lucy:
1. I love how mom is a doer! She accomplishes everything she sets her mind to. Whether working 2 or 3 jobs, making her daughters’ lives full of surprises/fun, planning trips, or just cooking dinner she always goes above and beyond to do her tasks well and provide for the people around her.
2. I love mom’s fun, never ending energy! She knows how to have a good time and throw a great party! Taught each of us about good hospitality and how to genuinely enjoy life. She doesn’t take anything too seriously and is the life of every party! Mom, I love you and hope to be a strong, fun, serving, loving woman like you!

Emily:
1. It’s an honor to be nick-named “little Cathy”… Not only because of Mom’s good looks and smokin' hot bod. But also, because Mom is extremely loved by so many people and she is always the life of the party! I am proud to be her daughter and happy she is my best friend!
2. I love that Mom is determined and hard working. She has shown us all how to “get shit done” our whole lives! When Mom sets her mind to something, she gives it her all and more.

Taylor:
1. Cathy manages to always make time for others, especially her family. I don’t know how she manages so many women in her life and makes time for them all. She is amazing at helping and enjoying their lives.
2. I love that Cathy keeps things in perspective. She enjoys the small things and can take flak with a laugh. I especially like to see her and Kyle go at it 😂
Kyle (special first-time affirmations!):
1. I appreciate how Cathy always makes me feel at home and like I have a mom in Austin when I’m so far from my own mom and gone. 
2. I love that Cathy always keeps me on my toes and is calling me out for what she thinks. She always says what’s on her mind and I’m the exact same way. I respect that.

Susan:
1. Loves the way she excels in mass chaos....taught me there is no such thing as too much multitasking. 
2. Admire the way she makes friends and keeps them forever!

Dana:
1. I love my favorite shopping for antiques for days buddy! 
2. The way she always finds the bright side of everything!

Cindy:
1. Your exercise endurance and persistence amazes us!
2. Your strength in raising three awesome girls, all different in their own way, yet all extremely family connected to you(and Page)!

Caroline:
1. I love the way you have always been able to give me the "stinky eye". I know I better shape up or ship out. You've always been able to keep me in line. What a job you had!
2. I love the fact, that you are one of the most beautiful, most intelligent, most caring women I know. I cherish you as a member of my family and one of my Best Friends. 

Happy 60th Sister. You are one of a kind!

Chip:
In addition to the essential traits, we appreciate in family and demand in friends, such as a certain degree of honesty, morality, loyalty, etc. Two of Cathy's traits worth mentioning are competency, which I hold in high regard, and her complete inability to relate a story w/o embellishment, which is actually a manifestation of her healthy outlook on life and congenital desire to please others.

Happy 60th, sister.

PS: you don't look it