Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Colloquial Thursday - Tap into the power of words - 17.4

How long a time lies in one little word! - William Shakespeare (Richard II (I, 3)
Sally,

Nice and apropos to start this topic on Colloquial Thursday. The chapter is titled, Harness the Power of Names, Signature Words, and Phrases to Lock in Your Message. I have always liked your name, Sally Singletary - it has a nice ring to it. I like my name as well - G. Page Singletary. Some of my buddies call me "G. Page" or sometimes just 'G' for short. I use the G. Page professionally and it seems to work.

Reminds me also of a story mom told me recently about a little boy in one of her classrooms who got in trouble for using a negative word. His teacher called the word a 'vinegar' word. He had to sit in timeout.

Words are so powerful that what we create in the mind through words and messages often comes true. This is why it is so important to write down your goals, in your own handwriting. It is also a reason why I think it so important to make writing and literature a part of your college studies.

Looking forward to that cup of coffee soon.

Dad