Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Friday, December 3, 2010

Fit as a Fiddle Friday - Find Your 'Big Idea' - 15.5

Continuing with our study of Chapter One - Take Charge of Your Self-Brand, Kaputa introduces that we all need to find our "Big Idea". If you come to the conclusion that you are your most important asset (in a sense, you are your only asset) then your ability to maximize the asset that is you is the single most important ingredient in your success. She calls this "Big Idea", your USP - Unique Selling Proposition.
"A person represents a skill set. A self-brand represents a Big Idea, a belief system, that other people find special and relevant."
An analogy would be a tennis shoe without any markings on the side. It is just a shoe. It might be a fine, high performing shoe, but it is just a shoe. Add a simple 'swoosh' on the side of the shoe, and now it is a 'Nike' shoe. (Read about the creation of the swoosh and how the graphic designer charged the company $35 for her work.)

So I've been giving this USP concept some thought. I know I am a talented sales person and a leader of people. But there are lots of talented sales professionals and managers in the world today. What sets me a part?
My name is G. Page Singletary and I am a salesman, who leads and inspires those around me to reach their dreams. I have a passion for education and a deep understanding of the marketplace, where I have spent the lions share of my career, having successfully launched three education-based businesses. I am a unique combination of my two grandfathers - the entrepreneur and the preacher. 
My grandfather, Poppy, was a great businessman and a pure salesman. He often referred to himself as a peddler. I spent a lot of time with Poppy when I was a child, riding in his car, talking on his rotary-dial 'car phone', learning the fundamentals. A good salesman always has a pen . . . listen more than you talk . . . and remember this poem: "What's behind the door, I am not sure, but this I know and know it well, the more I open the more I sell."
My father's dad was a Baptist minister, who passed away two years before I was born. I have come to realize that I also have a lot of my Granddaddy Singletary in me. People feel good around me, people come to me for council, people trust me . . . all qualities of an outstanding minister.
If the need is for sales leadership in the education space, I am your man - G. Page Singletary.
 Stay fit,

Dad