Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Friday, April 3, 2020

FaaFF - Check-in on my ten commandments

Lucy May,

Back on January 9th, I wrote my ten commandments for 2020 and called them 'My flat ass rules'. (The term 'flat ass rules' borrowed from General Jim Mattis, former Secretary of Defense.) For today's Fit as a Fiddle Friday, I thought I would do a quick check-in. 

Sort of a self-critiquing, "Okay gPage, How are doing?"

My flat ass rules (2020)

Succeed at home first
Seek and merit divine help
Seek wise counsel
Build and use a challenge network
Listen to my spouse (woman's intuition)
Live substantially below our income
Have courage and strength at work
Be kind and compassionate to others
Learn something new every day
Forgive and let go

I feel good about most of these. If I had to pick one area to improve, it would be number four: Build and use a challenge network. I've been thinking about who I would want to include in a challenge network at Autodesk, but I have not (as of yet) taken action. 

Adam Grant describes a challenge network this way: 
Your challenge network should be the people who will tell you that you’re not quite where you need to be. These are the people that will push you because they care about helping you get better.
Do you have people who play a role like this in your life?

Love,

Dad