Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Friday, August 28, 2020

Bookshelves, 'I am Woman', and Jim Loehr on FaaFF

 
LuLu,

Another Fit as a Fiddle Friday morning, and I'm thinking about the above photo, in part because Sally is redesigning of our bookcases. Let me explain.

The photo is circa 1998ish, Delray Beach, Florida at the International Tennis Resort. That's me on the left in the dark pants and two-toned jacket. I think we used to call those getups a 'sweatsuit'. Jay Senter, fourth from right with double wrist-bands, a tennis-buddy during our Nashville years, organized this trip. Jay produced the famous single, I am Woman, by Helen Reddy! (Be sure to read 'The Making of the Single' section in the link.) The trip included our good friend and (in spite of his time at Duke University) successful-businessman, Tom Davin, whom I think took the photo. Jay brought in his pal, Dr. Jim Loehr, second from right. More on Jim to follow.

So Sally is doing her thing with the bookshelves and tells me I can only keep my favorite books. I start in the sports section, by identifying any that are personally autographed. I find my Dean Smith's A Coach's Life; Harvey Penick's Little Red Book; Bud Collins', Total Tennis; Johnny Bench's From Behind the Plate; John Laskowski's, Tales from the Hoosier Locker Room; Van Cuthrell's Quarterback Management; and my mom's gift when I was 8 years old, Winning May Not be Everything, BUT LOSING ISN'T ANYTHING! 

Then I move to the business section and I first start to look for Jim Loehr's The Power of Full Engagement. Can't find it! I'm bummed, because not only had Jim signed the book, but I had a ton of annotations and notes in the book. Do you remember how often I have referenced Loehr's work through the years? Here's a great summary of the book:

"The authors worked with the best athletes and executives for years, and found that the best ones knew how to push themselves, then recuperate, push, recuperate. Take this same approach to your emotional, mental, physical, and even spiritual life, and it's a powerful metaphor. Think of sprints, not marathons. Be fully in whatever you're in, then give time to recuperate. But push further each time, past your comfort zone, like a good exercise plan."

I'm hoping to use this post to run down Jim and get a new copy signed. I'll let you know if I succeed.

Happy FaaFF,

Dad