Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Monday, September 14, 2020

Find your VOICE and Make it a Great Monday

Lucy,

I've been thinking a lot these past weeks about two of my top five most impactful life coaches or motivators: Stephen Covey and Jim Loehr. (Others would be Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, and the newbie to the list, Ryan Holiday.)

You know I gravitate towards these words from Covey:
“When you engage in a work that taps your talent and fuels your passion -- that rises out of a great need in the world that you feel drawn by conscience to meet -- therein lies your voice, your calling, your soul's code."
I believe that is one of the greatest sentences ever written. I have burned it into my memory, writing it down hundreds of times, usually in my morning journals. It comes from Covey's book The 8th Habit - From Effectiveness to Greatness

How many of the seven habits do you practice?

Habit 1: Be Proactive
Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind
Habit 3: Put First Things First
Habit 4: Think Win-Win
Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
Habit 6: Synergize
Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

And what is The 8th Habit?
Habit 8: Find your voice and inspire others to find theirs.

I am blessed to feel so engaged and purposeful in my work. I am blessed to have found Autodesk, a company with an empowering, meaningful brand. I am blessed to work with so many smart people, most of whom check their egos at the door. And I am blessed to have three amazing clients: EA, Google, and Facebook. 

And lastly, I am blessed to have aligned with Dr. Hausler and Build Change, as we continue to explore and expand possibilities, whether it be through incubation at Autodesk or through other means.

Make it a Great Monday Lucy May!

Dad 

P.S. Covey gives Jim Loehr a lot of credit on the development of his 'Whole Person' concepts. See pages 63 and 332 in The 8th Habit if interested in learning more. You will also be happy to know I have succeeded in running down Jim Loehr, and he will soon be signing a new copy of The Power of Full Engagement, to replace my lost copy. (Subtitle: Managing energy, not time, is the key to high performance and personal renewal.)