Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Friday, November 5, 2010

Fit as a Fiddle Friday - Urgency - 12.5

I am sometimes asked what are the characteristics of a great sales person? I have been working on a response to this question and I am going to write about it over the next few days. My answer is that effective selling requires mastery in three areas: (1) enthusiasm, (2) likeability, and (3) urgency – ELU.

First, all great sales people understand the language of enthusiasm. More on this to follow. Second, my grandfather (Poppy) taught me the second characteristic of great sales people – be likeable. He used to say, “People buy from people they like.” More on this to follow as well. The third characteristic of a great sales person is to apply urgency, even when urgency may not be present. There are many ways to do this and I will discuss them in a future post.

In the meantime, it might be useful to apply these same three characteristics to your fitness plans. Find a sport or activity that you like, be enthusiastic when practicing or working out, and apply urgency to your fitness plan. An example of applying urgency to your fitness plan might be: "I will work out twice this weekend, so that I can take a rest day on Monday and still meet my goal of six, 45 minute workouts each week."

Stay fit,

Dad