Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stay Whole Tuesday - Cloud formation - 14.2

Sally,

As you know, Dad's work has been difficult of late. I believe I have performed for the company (in my role of territory sales) at a level of a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. I recently wrote a letter to the Board of Directors, outlining what I have accomplished, in the capacity I have been asked to fulfill. I also provided supporting data that shows how sales have increased in 2010 and how well-positioned the company is for continued growth because of the increase in trained and certified resellers whom I have personally recruited for the company. In this letter, I asked for a 'vote of confidence' from the Board by way of an  increase in my base compensation and for additional stock options. I was denied both.

It puts me in a difficult position, as I have a significant investment in Salient Systems, yet feel the company has decided not to show appreciation or support for what I have contributed and what I am capable of contributing in the future. On Saturday morning, while driving to the golf course for some practice and relaxation, there was not a cloud in the sky. It was a beautiful fall Austin day, with a perfectly blue sky. When I got to Saint Michael's on 360, I started thinking and praying about my situation. As I crested the hill beside the church, I looked up and saw a large cloud formation in the shape of a cross perfectly positioned over Austin Country Club.

My first thought was that God wants me to sacrifice the club, so that I can continue to work at Salient even when the company can not or will not pay me what I believe I am worth? Mom had a different take on it. She called it a sign from God that the club is my sanctuary - a place where I can get away and relax?

So sacrifice or sanctuary . . . I am still processing, but I do believe God has the answers.

Stay whole,

Dad