Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stay Whole Tuesday - Smile - 13.2

Sally,

Picking up on my first characteristic of successful 'selling' - enthusiasm, I offer up the idea that a smile is an important part of 'the language of enthusiasm'. If you are doing something that you enjoy doing, you should be happy and thus a smile should come easy. Of course, there are times in life when we have to do things that we may not want to do. For example, in the selling world, it is not easy to make cold calls. But I can promise you a salesman who knows how to smile when making a cold call is going to be a hundred times more successful than one who frowns. I also know that the smile has a reverse effect, it not only makes others feel better around you, but it makes you feel better.

One final thought. I saw this on a Website I like called JustSell. The definition of the word 'smover'. A 'smover' is someone who smiles and moves.

So stay whole and be a smover,

Dad

Successful selling and success in general:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Likability
3. Urgency - even when urgency may not be present