Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Monday, November 15, 2010

Make it a great Monday - Waiting for Superman - 14.1

Sally,

It is week 14 of your college career and this is the first post of the week, so I believe that makes 66 entries. We had a nice weekend, in spite of our football teams not doing so well. The Chaps were eliminated in week one of the playoffs by Stoney Point, Bulldogs couldn't stop Cam Newton, Tar Heels were gobbled up by Va. Tech (Hokies), and UT looked mediocre or worse against Oklahoma State. Nick Foles played well against USC, but Arizona came up short. Tanner Price didn't fair any better, as Wake Forest was trounced by NC State. Ryan Swope and A&M had a nice win against Baylor, so that was the only victory amongst teams I have been following.

Mom and I saw our second movie of the week, a rare accomplishment, and I commend it to you. We saw, Waiting for Superman, the documentary on the US Education System. It is a powerful movie pointing out the following facts about our system: (a) the US education system is horribly broken, (b) we know how to fix it, but (c) we can't fix it, because of the teachers unions that protect 'bad' teachers by providing tenure (i.e. jobs for life) regardless of  job performance.

I have a couple of interesting topics I want to write about this week and perhaps on-going. I have some additional thoughts spurred by the movie, The Social Network, on the subject of 'cooperation' versus 'competition'. Another topic has to do with a cloud formation I saw on Saturday.

I will save the rest of the 'cloud' story for later this week. It is a good one.

Make it a great Monday,

Dad