Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fit as a Fiddle Friday - Think outside-in and soft power - 20.5

Sally,
Rule of thumb number 5 for emotionally engaging your audience is to think outside-in. Rule of thumb number 6 is to attract through soft power. Thinking outside-in is an interesting concept. Kaputa says, "Think first about what reaction you want to get from your target audience (outside), then figure out what you have to do to get that reaction (inside)." So in dad's case, I am building my brand thinking about the fact that I first and foremost need a technology company in the education business to hire me to be their dynamic sales leader.
'Soft power' is a term used to indicate that we can use our values, style, and point of view to attract others to us. The phrase was coined by Joseph S. Nye in a book about how to attract people to your ideas in the arena of world politics. I believe this is what I am trying to do by using my writing project, Releasing the Churn, as part of my self-branding strategy. The idea is to highlight the fact that I am not just a guy with a nice resume and a successful sales career, but rather someone who can lead and motivate others to find their place on this planet.
Stay fit,
Dad
P.S. If I get to Yoga today, it will make 30 days of yoga in the past 34. My goal is 80 visits to my mat in 90 days.