Search Nuggets

Featured Post

Paul Graham: The Top Idea in Your Mind (Do you have attention sinks?)

Hey girls and guys,  I found the space to dive into another powerful essay from Paul Graham. Please find 15 minutes to read and think about ...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Women Power Wednesday - Font selections - 22.3

Sally,
It's Women Power Wednesday and I am blogging about type faces. You noticed that I changed the background of 'Nuggets from Dad' this week to the 'clouds' and away from the 'books'. That was originally done because I wanted to use the 'books' as the background for 'The Churn' blog; however I later decided to go with the 'Friday Night Lights' theme, as I thought it had a nice 'launching' feel (i.e. 'IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TEXAS!') Anyway, I wanted to keep the background different so that I would not get confused when preparing to make a post. I digress.
So what about type faces? In short, I have learned that Times Roman (my usual and longtime typeface choice) is more of a 'business' or 'wall street' or 'formal' look. Times Roman is called a serif typeface, because of the "semi-structural details on the ends of some of the strokes that make up the letters and symbols." A typeface without the serif is called a sans serif typeface. An example would be Helvetica or Veranda. For my website and blog, I am trying to be consistant and use Helvetica and/or Veranda.
Blogger is a little tricky when it comes to typefaces, as the templates take some getting used to in terms of how to master the fonts in the headings, labels and body of the blog. I am still working through some of this and am using 'Nuggets from Dad' to do some testing. I am writing this in Veranda, but it keeps changing back to Times Roman in my preview?
Allison McDougall is a St. Edwards design student who is helping me better understand all of this from a design standpoint. She is also developing a logo and style sheet for churnOn.com. Check out her Website to see some cool stuff about fonts and design. Mom and I are going to her senior exhibition reception this Friday evening and hopefully taking your sisters. The show is called: 'semiotics' - the study of signs and symbols and their use or interpretation.
Women power,
Dad